The Little Green Blanket - haibun

These are poems created by our community.
Sandra Martyres
Topics: 42

The Little Green Blanket - haibun

Postby Sandra Martyres » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:52 am

Haibun

As a child,I recall having a small green blanket without which I could not sleep. Every night, I'd curl up under this worn out but soft piece of woollen cloth, suck my thumb and gradually sink into the dreamworld of children.
My parents believed that if they could part me from the green blanket, I would automatically stop sucking my thumb. All their other attempts to rid me of the habit had failed miserably.
Eureka, one day they hit upon a plan. They took me to visit a poor family living in a hovel. The baby was wearing minimal clothing. My little heart melted, we went back home and carried all my extra woollies and my prized blanket to be given to the child.
By nightfall I had forgotten about my generous deed and wept for my blanket.. my Mom gently reminded me how the baby would sleep without shivering for the first time in its short life....

God loves a giver -
the angels sang lullabies
to me that night
Last edited by Sandra Martyres on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karin Anderson
Topics: 38

Re: The Little Green Blanket - haibun

Postby Karin Anderson » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:33 am

An outstanding haibun with the sweetest conclusion, I will never forget, as the prose and haiku are magical together. I had a security pillow instead of a blanket and my parents persuaded me to give it to the garbage man, and I believed he would love it, and I love your haibun Sandra.

Sandra Martyres
Topics: 42

Postby Sandra Martyres » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:50 am

A huge thank you Karin- you made my day. Being my first attempt at a haibun, I was worried.

Stella
Site Admin
Topics: 247

Postby Stella » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Well i have to admit as to not knowing what a "haibun"poem was Sandra.I now realize it has two components,a prose poem and a haiku,this really has impressed me because i am still struggling to write a modern haiku on its own.
How wonderful this haibun of yours is , i am in awe of the form itself and your mastery of it...

Noodlehead1997
Topics: 10

Postby Noodlehead1997 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:12 pm

This is really good. I am with Stella, I did not know what a "haibun" poem was... Interesting, I do like it though. A really impressive piece for sure.

Fay Slimm
Topics: 88

Postby Fay Slimm » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Am determined to read your other halibun postings dear Sandra - you have such a gift for relating good stories - - -am so pleased to have caught this gem of a write with such a good haiku to teach generosity. A really moving read.

Return to “Community Poems”