Mother .......a haibun

These are poems created by our community.
Sandra Martyres
Topics: 42

Mother .......a haibun

Postby Sandra Martyres » Sat May 09, 2015 8:31 am

Remembering Mom on the occasion of Mother's Day....She was a wonderful lady totally dedicated to her family...

It is one of those regular busy mornings, she has her laundry list ready for the day. She begins with the routine tasks of putting breakfast on the table, packing our lunch boxes with a special treat in each one depending on our likes. Then sets about the tiresome chore of getting us out of bed and ready for school. She supervises the teeth brushing of the younger two and marches the four of us to the table to finish breakfast.
She is immune to our grumbling... "Porridge again, I want toast and butter.." We realise, Mom is in no mood to tolerate nonsense and so we finish what has been set before us without much ado. Soon we are dressed and waiting for the school bus. As usual she kisses each one goodbye and wishes us a good day before going back to serve Dad's breakfast and to her never-ending household chores...

on the pond
a new batch of ducklings
learn to swim

Stella
Site Admin
Topics: 247

Re: Mother .......a haibun

Postby Stella » Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 am

I really like the haiku for this lovely piece Sandra, it is so fitting of the mother tending to her children.

I must admit that i wasn't sure about this form to begin with, but now after reading a book that Karin kindly sent me and the haibun
posted here i am quite addicted and keep making up haiku to go with the thoughts that run through my mind.

It is good to see that your muse has returned and a pleasure to see you back here :) :) :)

Sandra Martyres
Topics: 42

Postby Sandra Martyres » Sat May 09, 2015 11:06 am

Thank you so much Stella...

Seema Chowdhury
Topics: 217

Postby Seema Chowdhury » Sun May 10, 2015 2:13 am

A beautiful composition, well thought of.

stevenstirk
Topics: 57

Postby stevenstirk » Sun May 10, 2015 1:21 pm

A lovely and intimate reflection which I much enjoyed Sandra.
TFS

Karin Anderson
Topics: 38

Postby Karin Anderson » Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 am

A delightful haibun and the haiku is the icing on the cake, as it sets our prose off beautifully Sandra.

Nightmute
Topics: 24

Postby Nightmute » Tue May 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I am amazed at how well the haibun and the haiku complement one another so perfectly in this absorbing and wonderful write, Sandra. The memory of a mother, going about her chores, and who does so out of love, is quite amazing, Ma'am.

Fay Slimm
Topics: 88

Postby Fay Slimm » Tue May 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Such a stunning combination the duo you chose to honour your Mother is simply wonderful. Thank you for sharing your precious memories of a devoted Mom - we know now how she added to your own ability to swim eventually all round the great big pool of the world. A beautiful read dear friend.

Cindy
Topics: 75

Postby Cindy » Wed May 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Very lovely. I am very interested in this poetry form. One day I hope to try it. As of now, I am taking a free class called Beginning Haiku on allpoetry. I am so glad I chose to do that before writing haibun. I thought I understood haiku and knew about it, but I have learned so much in just a few lessons. So, one day I'll truly be ready for haibun. I look forward to it. You have inspired me even more with this great haibun.

Return to “Community Poems”